trichy trip

on Sunday, October 26, 2008
Things I don’t want to forget about the trichy trip
1. The fact that I got permission to take off with friends for the first time. I still can’t believe my parents agreed after ten minutes of hectic convincing. The fact that an uncle studied in the college some three hundred years back really helped.
2. Staying up till three in the morning, crouching uncomfortably because the other berths were lowered, talking to my friends with the cold wind hitting my face was the best part of the trip. I was completely at peace and very secure in the most unlikely place. No pictures to document it, but the approaching erode junction with the air smelling very railway station-ish , the ghostly shape of trees as the train moved away from the junction is a permanent clip in my head. We giggled as bugger had to deal with some people in a nice way even in this weird setting.
3. The campus was huge and that only seemed to impress upon us the scorching clime of this place. The heat reminded me of the in-numerable summers spent in salem, when we would play cricket in the afternoon, unaffected by it all. But now, I cursed and cribbed , one of the reasons could be my miserable mental setting after most quizzes these days. Growing up sucks, cliché take it.
4. We also slept a lot battling mosquitoes.
5. S, bugger and I had conversations, with all the new found unquestioned liberty which only three girls even a after a long day can manage. I also realized I missed out on some universal girl meeting where they teach you very essential stuff, it is becoming more evident by the day. Ganesha help me!
6. Food in general sucked. Iced tea is nice. Food court there was hell bent on stuffing us with North Indian fare, which was anything but edible. Somebody tell them we expect to be treated with the best of rice in the kaveri delta. The same reason prompted us to lunge at rice on the last day in the mess. Folks at home are very proud of this, my other achievements being zilch.
7. On the way back, we had to stop over at salem, to catch a bus back to Bangalore. Sat on the steps of saravana bhavan and discussed yedurappa’s supposed extra marital affairs and the power behind his throne at about ten in the night. Vijaykanth movies are extremely entertaining, even makes you soul search, when there is a friend, who is high because she smelt alcohol. S also predicted the storyline at about 2 in the morning when I was rudely shaken awake when the bus stopped in a shady bus-stand. There was some reference to Gabriel Garcia marquez, but my memory fails me.
8.Should buy a cigarette lighter . They are fun.

There were moments when I was really pissed off, sometimes when I was inexplicably happy. Don’t want to sound preachy but the trip was life in itself.Everything about this trip will make me smile someday.

8 comments:

Somebody Else said...

You know, I felt that sense of security and calm too? I don't understand how it felt like I knew just who I was in an alien place. Such a paradox.

I know. I'm so glad it happened. It was the utmost fun and so many things I can't put to words. I'm really really glad. :)

PS-when were you pissed? Was it because of me?

soda said...

really nice post :)
but was iced tea cold in that godforsaken place??

playbyrules said...

siri- i know, mailaduturai exp-ladies quota.:D i was pissed cause of the quizzes. you know it no?
soda-thanks. iced tea was cold, though we paid a fortune for it.

Dark Covenant said...

Iced Tea was the cheapest I thought! Ten bucks aint it?
Nice post :)

Dark Covenant said...

And the water coolers? Nectar in the heat :)

playbyrules said...

thanks bugger. ten bucks is a fortune.

Dark Covenant said...

Relatively.

Merin Mandanna said...

NOW I read this!!!

Typical Padma. :) Loved reading it.
Next time I'm coming and we'll get depressed together ok? After the quiz.

(Hey,Cig lighters?!!)